2019 Mercedes Sprinter – Video
- Integral system solution based on a holistic approach:
Mercedes-Benz Vans is undergoing a transformation from a vehicle manufacturer into a provider of comprehensive transport and mobility solutions. The new Sprinter is the first model series to embody the adVANce philosophy and put the first solutions from this future initiative on the road.
- Leap in efficiency thanks to internet connectivity: With the latest connectivity options and the services of Mercedes PRO connect, the new Sprinter becomes part of the Internet of Things. Simpler fleet controlling and optimised communications between fleet manager and driver are among the innovations designed to make everyday work easier and more efficient. This makes a completely new level of vehicle management possible for fleets.
- Eight packages with connectivity services to go online: On the market launch of Mercedes PRO connect as an ex factory feature, eight packages with central fleet, vehicle, driver and location-based services will be introduced in 19 European countries. These include e.g. Vehicle Supervision, Vehicle Operations, Fleet Communication, Maintenance and Repair Management and a digital Driver’s Logbook. The new services can be used e.g. with the completely new MBUX multimedia system using an up to 10.25-inch HD display, touchscreen control and intuitive voice control.
- Adaptable down to the last detail: More than 1700 different Sprinter variants can be generated by combining body types, drive configurations, cab designs, body lengths, tonnages and load compartment heights. This variability makes the new Sprinter the perfect vehicle for a wide range of transport needs and sectors. The bandwidth ranges from a construction site vehicle with an attractive entry price to a luxuriously equipped shuttle-bus.
- Front-wheel drive and new transmissions: The well-proven drive concept with rear and all-wheel drive is now supplemented with a new, entry-level front-wheel drive system. For reasons inherent to the design, the payload of this version increases by 50 kilograms compared to the previous model, and an 80-millimetre lower loading sill makes loading/unloading and access/egress considerably more convenient. The technical highlights of the new Sprinter include two newly developed transmissions for front-wheel drive – a nine-speed automatic torque converter transmission as a first in the large van segment and a likewise newly developed 6-speed manual transmission.
- Driver cockpit that sets standards: Ergonomically optimised and comfortable – these aspects turn the cab into a perfect workplace. The improvements include ergonomically shaped seats, keyless start and an improved air conditioning system. A variable stowage concept ensures that everything has its place.
- Practical and with a high load capacity: loadable wheel arches and fully usable load compartment heights in combination with front-wheel drive increase the versatility of the load compartment. The maximum load capacity is 17 cu. m., with tonnages up to 5.5 tonnes. LED lighting strips ensure optimum visibility in the load compartment, and the rear doors can be opened to the side walls even more easily.
- The absolute leader in safety: Once again, Mercedes-Benz Vans is fulfilling its role as an innovation driver in the introduction of modern safety technologies in the large van segment. The assistance and control systems available for the new Sprinter include e.g. a reversing camera showing its image in the rear-view mirror, a modern Parking Package with a 360-degree all-round view, and a rain sensor with an integrated Wet Wiper System. The washer fluid is passed through the wiper arms, sprayed directly ahead of the wiper blades and wiped away with no delay – for optimum visibility even during the wiping process.
- Blending of form and function: With the third generation, the exterior of the Sprinter is entering a new era in which not only its qualities in solving transport problems are in demand. The vehicles in modern fleets are increasingly also being given the role of company representatives, and especially in smaller and medium-size business they are very much a business card. The Mercedes-Benz design strategy established in the car sector creates the basis for this, and stands out with a clear yet sensual design.
- Between two and 19 passengers: The portfolio ranges from two individual seats in the cab of a commercially used van to up to 20 seats for 19 passengers plus the driver. With Easy Mounting, Mercedes-Benz Vans has also developed a new system with which even individuals can install and remove seat rows from the Sprinter Tourer without assistance. In the luxury variant, the Sprinter has USB charging sockets and stowage space for smartphones in every rear seat row.
- Volker Mornhinweg, Head of Mercedes-Benz Vans: “In the logistics and transport world of the future, variability and the availability of customer-specific solutions are the essential success factor. Just offering customers a good vehicle is no longer enough. As an all-rounder, the new Sprinter must be more than just the sum of its parts. With an unprecedented number of variants, new connectivity services and a new telematics generation, it is a tailor-made end-to-end system meeting an enormous range of commercial transport and mobility requirements. This means that the new Sprinter achieves precisely what its preceding generations demonstrated before it: Once again, it redefines the van segment. This makes it the ultimate in smart hardware, and it will raise its segment, the business of our customers and our own business to the next level.”
- Dr. Ulf Zillig, overall Sprinter project manager at Mercedes-Benz Vans: “More than 3.4 million units delivered in 130 countries is a proud record for the first two generations of the Sprinter. This unequivocally confirms that the Sprinter is a global player, and must cover an unbelievable bandwidth of country and industry-specific requirements. This is why we have therefore expanded the already broad Sprinter portfolio even further. We are able to service specific market segments even better with a multitude of new product features. In combination with its connectivity, the new Sprinter opens up more possibilities in efficiency and process optimisation than any previous model from Mercedes-Benz Vans.”