2018 Mazda6 Explained – Video
Adhering to Mazda’s human-centric design and engineering philosophy, Mazda took its outstanding driving dynamics and design to the next level in the 2018 Mazda6. Engineers and designers focused on refinement and technology to better offer an experience far exceeding expectations.
With that in mind, here are six ways that the 2018 Mazda6 matured, further strengthening the bond between automobile and driver:
1. When Mazda uses human-centric engineering, it means that the vehicle experience starts with the driver. From the shape of the seat to the chassis design and suspension tuning, the entire Mazda6 is designed to work in harmony with the driver. The driving position in the Mazda6 enhances situational awareness by putting the driver in a subconsciously symmetrical position. This relaxed and alert position enables smooth and natural car control. Its re-engineered SKYACTIV-CHASSIS complements a newly upgraded suspension to provide a smooth ride and improved handling.
2. For the first time, the 2018 Mazda6 is offered with a turbocharged SKYACTIV-G 2.5T engine. Mazda’s industry-first Dynamic Pressure Turbo virtually eliminates turbo lag that one might experience in competing vehicles. Mazda engineers used a butterfly valve to increase the velocity of exhaust gases powering the Mazda6’s turbocharger. As a result, the new Mazda6 delivers sharply responsive performance, with 310 pound-feet of torque available as low as 2,000 RPM.
3. Form follows function, but that doesn’t mean a car should be boring. Keeping the driver foremost in mind, Mazda’s designers moved the windshield back and raised the front fenders of the 2018 Mazda6 to provide the driver a clear sense of the car’s dimensions for maximum confidence in any driving scenario. The flowing and athletic KODO—Soul of Motion design language is not only sinuously beautiful, but it helps provide an accurate sense of speed and road position, enabling precision in driving.
4. In the 2018 Mazda6, all the technology is oriented toward the driver, with the major display placed in the driver’s natural field of vision to maintain eyes on the road. It’s high on the dashboard for easy sight at a glance rather than down where the driver might have to take his or her eyes off the road. The Mazda6 is available with a seven-inch digital gauge display for the driver in addition to a standard eight-inch MAZDA CONNECTTM infotainment system. Also available is Mazda’s Active Driving Display, which projects critical information right onto the windshield. The intent of every feature in the new Mazda6 is to create an environment conducive to effortless awareness and engagement with the act of driving.
5. Some improvements manifest themselves in what doesn’t happen. Thanks to the Mazda-exclusive G-Vectoring Control (GVC) technology, the Mazda6 offers more responsive and communicative steering without any unwanted, subconscious steering wheel nudges that can become tiresome on long drives. GVC uses engine timing to reduce torque very slightly when the driver turns the wheel. The effect is not perceptible to the driver or passengers, but the car’s weight shifts forward onto the front tires, leading to smoother, more accurate steering. With more confident responses, it’s as though the Mazda6 functions as an extension of the driver’s mind and body. That connected feeling is what Mazda calls “Jinba Ittai.”
6. Road noise can lead to driver fatigue, and the low-frequency rumble from rough modern roads can be especially wearing. Mazda has gone above and beyond to mitigate low frequency noise in the 2018 Mazda6 with additional sound-deadening insulation throughout the vehicle, as well as changes to the suspension mounts, added chassis bracing, and thicker sheet metal in critical locations to dampen out low-frequency sounds.
As an automaker devoted to making the driving experience as enriching as it is energizing, Mazda continues to improve every facet of the 2018 Mazda6 with the goal of putting the driver and driving experience first. From premium features with added technology to added refinement and a heightened driving experience, the 2018 Mazda6 is an embodiment of Mazda’s commitment to celebrate driving. It’s a car that fully delivers a Mazda Premium experience for drivers and passengers, alike.